Entrance Interview: Latoya Moore

Today I have a brief entrance interview with Latoya Moore, a new ANC commissioner from 5D03, replacing commissioner Steven Motley. Moore ran against two opponents last fall, Sean Barry and James Butler, who had held the seat in the past. Meet Commissioner Latoya Moore, now the secretary of ANC 5D:



How long have you lived in D.C. and how long have you lived in the ANC? What street do you live on or which general area of the neighborhood do you live in?

I am a Native Washingtonian, born and raised. My husband and I purchased our first home here in November 2006, so I've lived in Ward 5 for 14 years and counting in the same home. I live on M Street NE, which is considered the Trinidad/Carver Langston neighborhood.

What are your pronouns (she/hers for example) and how do you describe your race or ethnicity?

I am a proud Black/African-American woman and the pronouns she/her are perfect for me.

Briefly, why did you want to be an ANC commissioner?


I became an ANC Commissioner, as I've attended 90% of the past ANC meetings and I noticed that they were heavily focused on licensing, construction, and presentations of multi-unit buildings and private developers looking to acquire prime real estate in Ward 5. There were district agencies that gave presentations and updates as well, but nothing solid for the constituents and residents. I want the residents' concerns heard, our communities and streets safe, and accountability from our district entities and agencies.

What are your top priorities for this term? What areas do you plan to focus on?


My top priority is safety. As you've noticed, I mentioned this before. The speed of the traffic flow, the gun violence, the synthetic drug epidemic, robberies, and porch piracy will be my primary focus this term. These are the issues that my constituents and I have discussed continuously.

What are your long-term hopes for your SMD, and for the whole ANC?


My long-term goals will be to get a Dog and/or Kids Park, Neighborhood Access to the National Arboretum, and a SMD-Paid Neighborhood Patrol and/or Security.

For the latest information on the District Government’s response to COVID-19 (Coronavirus), please visit coronavirus.dc.gov.

Comments

Popular Posts