Open Thread: Deaf U

I need a little room to decompress after previewing, watching, drawing and writing up the ANC meeting. So I'm gonna set a precedent that after the monthly ANC meeting the next post is an open thread for conversation on a local topic.

Today: Deaf U

It's not everyday that the college next door to your neighborhood is the subject of a reality TV series on Netflix. Woo! I sat down to watch and could not watch fewer than the first three. 

Some write-ups: WCP, DCist, NPR, Vulture

I don't watch a lot of reality shows but this one is JUICY as my pal Lily put it. It really is something to see nearby spots like Red Bear Brewing and Wunter Garten, in their pre-pandemic glory, on the tee-vee.

Have you seen it? If you went to Gallaudet or go now, how it does compare? As a hearing person, I feel like I'm learning a lot, but how do neighbors in the deaf commuting see it? No spoilers! (OK, some spoilers are fine.)

Even if you haven't seen it, it would be great to hear from you about what's going on in your corner of the neighborhood, in order to start building a non-toxic, engaged community on this site.

Photo of Gallaudet courtesy of joseph a through a Creative Commons license. 

Comments

  1. I am so stoked to watch this! have heard so many good things and after 7? 8? months of quarantining in VA, it will be so cathartic to see DC (the real DC, the way people who live here experience it!) again. would also be super curious to hear from Gallaudet students/alumni how it stacks up to reality 👀

    ReplyDelete
  2. agreed that part of what makes it such a good quarantine binge (besides the juicy drama) is how nice it was so nice to see them out having fun in places I know and miss (and, quite frankly, where I have enjoyed plenty of my own juicy drama)! the ONE BIG THING it seems to be missing is......any women of color, *especially* Black women. So many blondes it took me more than a few episodes to get them all straight but- no Black women for show set in DC? come on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've yet to set foot in Kovak's.

    The friction between living in two worlds, or trying to live in one that you can't spend full time in, that's familiar af.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.

Popular Posts