Mount Olivet Cemetery

I've been living in Trinidad for two years, and in the area for much longer, and until Saturday I had never been to Mount Olivet Cemetery. I never thought to go, despite driving past it many times on Bladensburg Road or Mt. Olivet Road. And for whatever reason, I almost never see anyone inside the cemetery. But I can report that up close, the Catholic cemetery, dating from just before the Civil War, is elegant and well kept. It offers rare, elevated views of Trinidad as well as the Capitol, the Basilica and the Hecht Company Warehouse.


From the website, I couldn’t quite tell if grounds were open to everyone, or just those with family at rest within, so I asked. Susan Bonneau, Assistant Cemetery Manager, said that “Mount Olivet Cemetery is open to the public.” They just switched to their winter hours and are open every day, from 7am to 5pm. Dogs are not allowed, but bikes are. It is a lovely, quiet place for a walk or ride if you don’t mind a little up and down. Here are some of the photos I took.







Comments

Popular Posts